aka “Safety Warnings”.
If after reading this you disagree with anything we said, please cancel your order.
First, the good news. LiFePo4 batteries are one of the safest types available. They contain no hazardous or noxious substances, and have superior thermal and chemical stability compared to other lithium battery chemistries. That said…
The battery cells we sell will store A LOT of energy (that is the whole point) – more than enough to maim and/or kill you, your friends and family, and burn down your house, RV, boat or whatever, if you do not know what you are doing.
Here is a short list of ways to screw up. This list is not complete.
- Take off all metal jewelry (rings, watches, chains). When they bridge the battery terminals, your jewelry will instantly weld to the battery, get red hot and burn off your fingers, wrists, et cetera. Search “burn-induced compartment syndrome”. Not fun.
- If you wire the batteries in any one of many wrong ways, they could be destroyed and/or burn down your home. Follow instructions.
- AC inverters can electrocute you just like regular house wiring.
- De-energize your AC systems when working on them or you could get electrocuted and die (If you don’t know this already you have no business using anything we sell).
- Even the cells by themselves, depending on how you wire them, can produce enough voltage to kill you. A 16 cell 48v battery can electrocute you in the right circumstances.
- Using cheap inverters or other low-quality equipment can damage the BMS in a way that will not be apparent until the batteries explode. This actually happened in our lab.
- Programming your BMS incorrectly can lead to a variety of disasters.
- Pinching a balance wire will cause a short circuit that melts the wires, and might damage your cells or BMS. Pay attention when tightening the terminals.
- Dropping tools between two terminals will short circuit the batteries and lead to a variety of disasters.
- Using our BMS with unsupported battery types could lead to fires. We guarantee our BMSs work with new grade-A LiFePO4 cells unless otherwise specified. If you use mysterious cheap cells you found in the dark alleys of the internet, the results are not our fault.
- If you run your batteries in the sun, or in a sauna, or over a wood-burning stove, they may overheat and be ruined. Operate them within their specified temperature range.
- Do not undersize your wiring for the loads in your system, or omit properly-sized circuit-breakers. If you do, the wires can melt and burn down your house-boat-shed-camper.
- Do not connect equipment in a way that bypasses the BMS.
- Do not let the batteries or BMS get wet.
- Pay attention to your metal tools when working near the battery terminals.
- Do not work on electrical systems while drunk, high, stoned, or otherwise intoxicated.
The bottom line is, the only thing we guarantee is that the products we sell will be high quality and free of material defects. If they turn out not to be, we will replace them. We will not replace connected equipment, your house-boat-shed-camper, or anything else that we did not directly provide to you.
Unless specified, these products have not been evaluated by a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory, ie. UL. Is it up to you to determine whether they are fit for your particular project, and what regulations apply to that use.
Whatever stupid thing you do with our products after you buy them is 100% on you. There is no way to make them completely safe.
We support you learning new things through research and experimentation, but a certain baseline level of technical competence and sound judgement is absolutely required.
If you are completely confident in your abilities, turn back now. Fear keeps you alive.